California Business Portal


I hired independent contractors. Do I have to report them to the Employment Development Department (EDD)?

Any business or government entity that is required to file a federal Form 1099-MISC for services received from an independent contractor is required to report specific independent contractor information to the ...

Read Article

I received a notice about a former employee filing for unemployment. What do I do?

Consult the Employment Development's website for more information on unemployment filings by employees:

Read Article

When are taxes and a report due to the Employment Development Department (EDD)?

For information on when taxes and reports are due, visit the EDD Required Filings and Due Dates page.

Read Article

We are a new corporation. Do I pay payroll taxes on officers?

For information on payments to corporate officers, refer to:

Read Article

I'm a household employer, what are my payroll tax responsibilities?

For information on household employers payroll tax responsibilities, refer to the Household Employer's Guide (DE 8829) (PDF).

Read Article

How can I determine whether my workers are employees or independent contractors?

The basic test for determining whether a worker is an independent contractor or an employee is whether the principal has the right to control the manner and means by which the work is performed. When the princi...

Read Article