California Business Portal

What type of licenses would I need to sell medical/recreational cannabis?

Please visit our Quick Start Guide for Cannabis Operations from the Business Portal.
Additional help:

First, determine your position on the supply chain:
Manufacturing: The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has been deemed the agency responsible for licensing manufacturers. See the
Office of Manufactured Cannabis Safety page. CDPH can be contacted at (916) 558-1784 or via email at

Cultivation: In general, the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) has been designated the agency responsible for licensing cultivation. It will also establish conditions under which indoor and outdoor cultivation may occur, establish an electronic database to track cannabis from seed to sale, and assist other state agencies in protecting the environment and public health and safety. See more information
here. You can contact the CDFA for more information at (916) 263-0801 or via email at

Transporting, Dispensing, Testing Laboratories: To learn about licenses for cannabis transportation, distribution, laboratory testing, or dispensaries, visit the
Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation (BMCR) page. Again they can be contacted at (800) 952-5210 

Selling: Please visit the 
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration page for tax information.

Applicants operating cannabis related businesses usually have to submit site and operation plans and obtain other permits/licenses from other regulatory agencies (ie State Water Board for water diversion) depending on your particular operations. It is best to check in with your local city and county to determine what you need to operate within their jurisdictions. 

For additional information, please visit the California Cannabis Portal, this information can be found there as well, see link here:

Did you find this article helpful?

Haven't found what you're looking for, send us an email