California Business Portal

My company plans on hiring an employee from CA, what is the proper paper work I need?

 If you will have any California employees check in with the following departments: 
  • Businesses with employees must comply with laws establishing minimum standards for wages, hours and working conditions. If you are an out-of-state employer you may need workers' compensation coverage if you have any employees regularly working in California, or if you enter into a contract of employment in California. Please see the California Department of Industrial Relations page. Also, you may refer to the Department’s Frequently asked questions about workers’ compensation for employers here
  • To register your business: employers with employees, business partnerships, and corporations, must obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the I.R.S. Businesses, you may obtain appropriate federal income tax forms from this location. You can contact them at (909) 388-8108. 
  • You can also contact EDD to find unemployment insurance benefit information, see full EDD directory here. 

At the local level: 

Consult the local municipality in which your CA worker/s will be conducting work to inquire about their policy on business licenses for out-of-state businesses. In California, business licenses are administered by the city or county in which you operate your business, and if your business operates in an unincorporated area within the county, you would acquire your license from the county, not the city.  
Please use our online permit assistance tool, CalGOLD. At the website input your city and type of business, select "General Business Information" to populate a list of local and state and federal permits required.

Did you find this article helpful?

Haven't found what you're looking for, send us an email