California Business Portal

How do I register my business name?

A fictitious business name (FBN) or doing business as (DBA) statement is required when:
  1. the business name does not include the surname of the individual owner(s) and each of the partners or
  2. the business name suggests the existence of additional owners or
  3. the nature of the business in not clearly evident by the name of the business.
If any of those conditions are met, you will need to file a FBN or DBA statement with your County recorder’s or clerk's office. You can look up if a business name has already been registered here. You can also contact the Secretary of State's Office at (916) 653-6814. 

To file the statement with your County recorder’s or clerk's office, please use 
our online permit assistance tool, CalGOLD. Once there input your city, county and type of business. If not listed, select "General Business Information". Scroll down to the "Fictitious Business Name - Doing Business As Statement" item to find the appropriate contact and webpage link. 


Did you find this article helpful?

Haven't found what you're looking for, send us an email