California Business Portal

1099 or W-2? Are your workers independent contractors or employees?

Should you issue a 1099 or W-2? Learn more on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. Other IRS resources include: IRS Publication 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide, Publication 1779, Independent Contractor or Employee, and Form SS-8, Determination of Worker Status.

Did you find this article helpful?

Haven't found what you're looking for, send us an email