California Business Portal

How do I dissolve, surrender, or cancel my business entity?

How do I dissolve, surrender, or cancel my business entity?

Business entities registered with the California Secretary of State (SOS) can dissolve, surrender, or cancel their businesses in California as follows:
  • Domestic corporations (those originally incorporated in California) may legally dissolve. 
  • Foreign corporations (those originally incorporated outside California) may legally surrender.
  • Limited liability companies and partnerships (both domestic and foreign) may legally cancel.
Businesses dissolve, surrender, or cancel when they cease operations in California and need to terminate their legal existence here. 

Steps to dissolve, surrender, or cancel a business entity: 
1. File any delinquent tax returns. 
2. File the final/current year tax return. On this tax return's first page, write FINAL at the top of the page and check the box labeled "Final Return." 
Exception for a nonprofit tax-exempt church or tax-exempt corporation—It does not have to file a final return if its 3-year gross receipts average is under $25,000. But it must file a final return if it exceeds this average, if it's a private foundation, or if it has non-member or unrelated business income.
3. Pay all tax balances, including any penalties, fees, and interest.
4. File the appropriate dissolution, surrender, or cancelation form(s) with the SOS within 12 months of filing your business' final tax return. To get the correct forms, go to, or call the SOS at 916.657.5448.
5. Suspended or forfeited business must revive before dissolution, surrender, or cancelation forms will be accepted by the SOS.
6. Public benefit and religious corporations and mutual benefit corporations holding charitable assets must obtain a dissolution waiver from the Office of the Attorney General before filing dissolution forms with the SOS. For more information, go to, or call the Office of the Attorney General at 916.445.2021.

If you need assistance, call Franchise Tax Board at:
Business entities inside the U.S. 800.852.5711 
Business entities outside the U.S. 916.845.6500 
Tax-exempt corporations 916.845.4171 

Tax Clearance Certificate - Requirement eliminated by AB 2341
  • Specific provisions
  • Frequently asked questions
Outstanding Liabilities
Dissolving, withdrawing, or canceling a business' legal status does not nullify its legal tax requirements or outstanding liabilities. The entity or its transferees remain liable for the business' tax debts. See personal responsibility for more information.

Additional information:
  • FTB Pub. 1038, Guide to Dissolve, Surrender, or Cancel a Business Entity
  • SOS website: 
  • SOS phone: 916.657.5448

Did you find this article helpful?

Haven't found what you're looking for, send us an email