California Business Portal

How do I change the name of my business entity?

How do I change the name of my business entity?

A business entity name can be changed in California by filing the applicable document or form (as described below) with the California Secretary of State. The document samples and forms described below are available on our
Forms, Samples and Fees webpage.

Please refer to the applicable document sample or form for complete filing instructions, fees, any additional requirements and relevant statutory filing provisions:

California Corporation: File a Certificate of Amendment. Samples are provided. The samples have been drafted to meet the minimum statutory requirements and can be used as a guideline in preparing the applicable document to be filed with the Secretary of State.

Foreign Corporation: File an Amended Statement by Foreign Corporation.
California Limited Liability Company: File a Certificate of Amendment (Form LLC–2).
Foreign Limited Liability Company: File an Application for Registration Certificate of Amendment (Form LLC–6).

Note: Many corporation, limited liability company and limited partnership documents are returned for correction without being filed because of name issues, errors, omissions or misstatements contained in the proposed filings submitted to this office. 

To ensure that all issues are considered and addressed appropriately, you should consult with private legal counsel prior to submitting amendment documents to the Secretary of State.

Did you find this article helpful?

Haven't found what you're looking for, send us an email